Your thoughts on the Maple Leaf Reservoir redevelopment?

January 29, 2010

in City of Seattle,Parks

I asked over at the In North Seattle blog for seattlepi.com – but am also curious what you think:

Seattle Public Utilities is holding a public meeting on the Maple Leaf Reservoir Park project on Feb. 9 from 6 – 8 p.m. at Olympic View Elementary (Map).

A lot of people have already voice opinions on what we should do with this space.

Here are my 10 favorites (keep in mind that more than one could be feasible given the size of the space):

1. A pickleball court
  2. Dog park (I swear, Maple Leaf has to be close for most dogs per capita in the city)
  3. A playground with water toys (Fountain? Slide?)
  4. Some sort of Maple Leaf designs / sculptures / theme
  5. Skate park
  6. Amphitheater (could play summer movies like Marymoor)
  7. Permaculture-based edible forest gardens (a practice of integrating sustainable agriculture and social culture. Read more about permaculture)
  8. Restrooms (yes, this requires more city maintenance – but it would be a nice feature)
  9. Disc golf (there aren’t many in Seattle right now)
  10. Fitness circuit area

What other ideas do you have for this park? What are your “top three” ideas?

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Phillip 01.29.10 at 3:49 pm

I would love to see an Amphitheater and Disc golf course. Though I’m not sure the second one gets enough demand to make it worth it for the amount of space it uses. Open fields which could be used for multiple things (including Frisbee) seems more fair…

Also, the water park sort of idea seems like it would also require a lot of maintenance by the city. Even wading pools often seem like they go dry/unused when there isn’t enough of a push to keep them open. Not that it wouldn’t be amazing to see…

Susie Rantz 01.29.10 at 3:59 pm

Phillip – I agree — the disc golf course would sure be great and a niche of people would appreciate it … but would it benefit enough folks to really make it worth including? That’s the ultimate question, isn’t it?

I would love to see the reservoir park have SOMETHING that really makes people want to come to Maple Leaf — something that sets us apart from everywhere else. What that is, I’m not sure.

Phillip 01.29.10 at 4:04 pm

A skate park actually could be a good idea in that people will travel to go to it. Though my understanding is that it can be more pricey than you’d expect and they really need designers and such to make good ones. You shouldn’t just fill a spot with concrete and call it a skate park. Not that I know a lot about them…

Though from that link it does look like figured it out. I’ve just heard stories about bad ones that end up becoming useless unusable parking lots.

Jane Amile 01.30.10 at 8:38 pm

While I like the ideas of skate parks (for teens), water parks (for children), etc., I would be more interested in seeing the space used in a manner that is accessible to a wider group of people. I love the idea of open field space that can be used for a variety of sports (disc golf, soccer, flag football, whatever!), a dog park – definitely (for pets that live in condos, apts and don’t have yards) and an edible forest that brings us back to the good ‘ol days of seeing where our food comes from! Also, space that promotes fitness, with walking trails, and fitness equipment. But most of all, a safe, comfortable outdoor space that promotes a sense of community. A Maple Leaf community gathering space that welcomes all.

Susie Rantz 01.30.10 at 8:46 pm

Hey Jane! I definitely agree that we should offer something that allows for a variety of activities (soccer, baseball, basketball, frisbee). And I would just love some trails around the outside and inside. I’m getting so excited thinking about this space!

Mary 01.30.10 at 8:47 pm

I think the more we can promote activity the better. It’s great to have a central place where kids can play on the gym, adults can play some basketball, and others can enjoy some downtime. I’ll definitely be following the meeting in a few weeks!

Erik M. 01.31.10 at 9:56 am

I’m not sure how much it’d cost or any other details, but an amphitheater would be really cool!

Daniel Johnson 02.09.10 at 11:56 pm

Wikipedia link should be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

Would LOVE to have edible perennials, permaculture design for park. Let’s have something for everybody!