By now, I’m sure most Maple Leafers heard or read about the natural gas explosion near our neighborhood, which destroyed a house and sent two people to the hospital.
Well, the Associated Press reports that utility crews have found a total of eight natural gas leaks in North Seattle, including the one that injured two people. Puget Sound energy spokeswoman Martha Monfried said Tuesday that the pipes have been dug up for repair.
Four of the leaks are linked to a downed tree that knocked over a high-voltage power line on Sunday, which led to a power outage for about 6,000 Maple Leaf residents. One leak is under investigation and the other three are not related to the downed tree.
There is some confusion about whether these two homeowners did or didn’t smell gas the night before the explosion. An AP article alludes to this, although a friend of the victims told KING 5 that he spoke with Ingham on Monday and he said they did not smell gas the night before.
Either way, it is a great reminder to immediately leave your home and call 911 if you smell natural gas. “Get out of the area, do not turn on or off any appliances or any lights,” said Puget Sound Energy spokesman Roger Thompson.